1. Hello, thank you for your time, please introduce yourself in a few words!
My name is Jeremy Voltz, and I’m an indie-soul artist based in Toronto.
2. Please give us an update about – new single, new album, tour dates, new videos?!
After releasing my new single “Like the Very First Time” and its lyric video, I have my debut full-length album “Weekender“ coming out in October, with a fun, spooky music video shot in an abandoned hotel.
3. Name 5 things we all should know about you as an artist?!
- My first instrument was drum set, and that really influences the way I sing
- I usually write direct, conversational lyrics to people in my life, things I’m too scared to say to them in real life
- As a vocalist I was influenced heavily by Stevie Wonder and Jeff Buckley
- I often play solo with a looper pedal, where I beatbox drums and layer backup harmonies
- My song “One Day at a Time” has millions of worldwide fans and inspired a successful children’s book
4. What fashion style or brand would best describe your music?
I really enjoy watching Project Runway, Next in Fashion and Ru Paul but when it comes to my own fashion I value comfort over all. Most of the time you can find me in graphic t-shirts left over from high school but I enjoy a good statement piece every once in a while.
5. Tell us more about your songs! Topics! Message!?
My music is inspired by thinking deeply about the people in my life and what I’d love to have the courage to say to them. I want my songs to help people feel less alone and bring hope to anyone struggling in the dark.
6. Beside music, do you have any special talents?
Before I was a musician, I was a mathematician. I hold a Ph.D. in probability theory from the University of Toronto. I also spent some time after school designing escape rooms, and used to be really into improv comedy. I also enjoy programming, 3D design, VR, figure drawing, and tennis.
7. Being on stage feels like….!
I come alive on stage, because I get to make people feel something. I want to move people, and there is no better feeling than seeing a room full of people vibing to what I’m doing.
8. How did you learn to sing/ to write/ to play??
I switched from marchign band to choir in high school because I thought maybe I could sing. My choir director would have us lay down on the floor for a half an hour and practice nothing but breathing. I thought she was crazy back then, but now I realize how much fundamental skill she drilled into me. Then I started playing guitar, and I wanted to sound like Jeff Buckley (insane, right?). Once I was trying to reach so hard for the high notes in Lover, You Should Have Come Over that I threw up. 😛
9. A question you’d like to answer, but never been asked in an interview before?! + Answer pls
The mathematician / logician in me sees too perfect an opportunity for a tricky answer. 😉
My question that I’d like to answer, but never been asked in an interview before is:
„What’s a question you’d like to answer, but never been asked in an interview before?“
Answer: „What’s a question you’d like to answer, but never been asked in an interview before?”
I crack myself up. 😀
Ok here’s a real one: What’s the best meal you can make?
Answer: I make a really good cast iron pizza. I make the dough and the sauce from scratch and it always turns out great!
Your Instagram: @jeremyvoltzmusic