Unwanted hair on the face or other parts of the body can be embarrassing. It may lead to the individual concerned having social anxiety and feeling depressed. However, it is not an unusual problem and is one that can be rectified. The most common method of removing unwanted hair is to undergo a laser hair removal treatment program.
What is laser hair removal, and does it really work? What do you need to know before undergoing laser hair removal treatment? And is the procedure safe and non-invasive? These are questions we are going to answer in the following article, so let’s begin with a brief explanation of laser hair removal.
How Does Laser Hair Removal Work?
A good example of a salon providing Laser Hair Removal – Everyoung Med has a reputation as an established outfit with a professional approach. They have skilled and fully trained practitioners who are experienced in the use of lasers for hair removal.
To answer the question in the title: yes, laser hair removal does work. Laser is a high intensity light beam that can be accurately tuned and focused on the area that needs to be treated. It kills the hair follicles – the root – and it’s worth knowing that you may need a few treatments with rest periods in between to completely remove the unwanted hair. There are also some things your practitioner will ask you to do in preparation, so let’s have a look at these.
Preparing for Laser Hair Removal
As laser hair removal is among the most common cosmetic procedures it can be considered safe. However, to enable success you will be asked to prepare in the following ways:
- Avoid plucking or removing the hair by waxing or threading for at least 1 month before the procedure.
- Keep out of the sun for 4 to 6 weeks before the procedure as advised and use sunscreen as directed.
- De-tan and bleach using products as recommended.
- The hair will be trimmed in the area immediately before the procedure to avoid burning.
- Inform the doctor about regular medications you take as these may interfere with the process.
Now let’s talk about what you can expect during the laser hair removal process.
During the Laser Hair Removal Process
Laser hair removal is an entirely non-invasive procedure that can take between minutes and hours to perform. Here’s what to expect during treatment:
- You will be wearing goggles to protect your eyes.
- Cooling gel will be applied to help relieve discomfort.
- You will feel heat from the laser beams that are directed at the hair follicles.
- After the procedure you will be treated with cream and a cool pack to reduce irritation.
This simple procedure will need to be repeated a number of times in the coming months to achieve full hair removal.
Finally, a few words on some side-effects and what to expect after the process has been performed.
What to Expect After the Procedure
The sessions you undergo will leave you looking and feeling great and rid of that annoying unwanted hair. Laser hair removal is a safe, tried, and tested procedure but patients may experience some of the following after the routine:
- Swelling, redness, and some changes in skin color are common immediately after and will subside in a few hours. An ice pack can be applied to relieve these symptoms.
- You will be asked to avoid sunlight for the next few weeks and use a strong sunscreen lotion.
- You should avoid all other hair removal methods in the treatment site.
We hope we have given you a good overview of what is involved in laser hair removal treatment, so contact your local clinic now to arrange a consultation.