1. Thank you very much for your time! Before we introduce your new release to our readers – what kind of drink would you recommend to zip on while they listen to your new music?
Hmmm, great idea. How about an ice cold spicy margarita? Definitely one of the bands go to party enhancers.
2. Please give us an update about – new single, new album, tour dates, new videos?!
Well… it’s out!! Into The Ether was born a few weeks ago and the last song on the record ‘In Transit’ is currently in the spotlight. A song that very much captures the essence of what we were trying to get across in the record. A galloping, funk fulled, high speed ride across a balmy sand dunes, way out in a desert somewhere. Tour date wise, we are planning an EU and UK run at the beginning of next year… watch this space!
3. Name vie things we all should know about you as a band?!
We have a mild obsession with scotch eggs. And we love the funk.
4. What fashion style or brand would best describe your music?
Think King Henry VIII meets adidas.
5. What’s your songwriting process?
So myself and Ned write the tunes together. It very much changes from song to song, but its more often that it will start with a tasty beat, some chords and of course a big fat bass line. We’ll then go in on trying to form a ‘song’ within that groove, often starting with a little phrase or an idiom. We have a shared note of loads of little bits we collect when something catches our attention. Then if all that is locking, we’ll go about fleshing the song out and adding as much extra sauce as possible until it feels right. Live strings, extra backing vocals, some homemade sound fx etc.. This isn’t always the way, once we did some music for a joke video sketch for a laugh, and ended up chopping a bit out we became obsessed with. Then built a song around that little nugget.
6. If you could change anything about the industry, what would it be?
I’d make it compulsory for all musicians to travel first class. Bring back so many of the great music venues that haven’t survived the extortionate rent increases and the pandemic. And make Into The Ether a number one record. Haha.
7. Tell us more about your songs! Topics! Message!?
‘Into The Ether’ was written in the lockdowns at a time when we were longing to be back on the road, touring with the band in our craggy tin can van, cruising full steam ahead into the unknown of the next gig. The imagery of the record is us mythologising these travels, escaping out of our head, and into the surreal, conjuring up our own funk injected version of The Odyssey if you like. Escapism is at the core of the FM ethos I suppose. We want to offer some precious time for our listeners, away from the constant noise and slog of the day to day, and transported into a different, care free space for a minute.
8. A question you’d like to answer, but never been asked in an interview before?! + Answer pls
Q. What is the one piece of advice you would give to someone starting out in the industry?
A. Always follow your instincts rather than getting lead astray by other opinions, and work incredibly hard!