Hello, thank you for your time, please introduce yourself in a few words!
Hey, I’m Paria, I’m a Norwegian-Iranian artist based in Oslo and I like truffle oil a bit too much.
Please give us an update about – new single, new album, tour dates, new videos?!
I just released a song called “ Wear Me Out” and I have a harddisk full of unreleased songs ready to come out next year. I’m doing a collab EP project in Norwegian with Stenz next year and after that a solo EP that I’ve written and produced every song on. Me and my producer Botaii are also working on an album which will be out late 2022 or 2023. So I have been busy as you may say.
Name 5 things we all should know about you as an artist?!
- I LOVE harmonies so my songs are full of harmonies, sometimes a bit too much of them, I’m lucky to have my friend as my producer so he can stop me when I’m being dramatic haha
- Where I come from there were no chances for me to become an artist, nor sing in public as a girl, so I feel like that made me appreciate every little aspect of this music thing a lot more. I’m always blown away by the fact that people listen to my songs and that I can move some hearts with songs that might have never been released on other terms.
- I’m not that visual when it comes to music, I know that a lot of artists get instant ideas for visuals and like scenarios for the music video and stuff but I wish I could just invite people to a dark movie theatre when my album is out and get them sleeping masks to enjoy the album fully as I would listen to it.
- I care WAY TOO MUCH about what people think about my music, it can make the realising process slightly painful haha
- I am always in search of new ways of expressing myself and saying things different and finding new sounds and styles.
What fashion style or brand would best describe your music?
Oh wow, that’s a good question. I’d say definitely vintage clothes, thrifting or like finding clothes on flea markeds are probably one of my top 3 favourite things to do. I feel like the elements in my music can be compared to clothes that I find peace by piece in different parts of the world or in different shops and then I put them together to make an unique outfit, it really feels like that when I‘m making songs.
Tell us more about your songs! Topics! Message!?
Well, I’ve been writing songs for years now and eventually you run out of ways to say I love you in a song and you really go empty for ideas and stories you like to share from your own life, so I started searching for other things to use as inspiration for writing, like my last song “Wear Me Out” I used sustainable fashion (which is my other passion) as an inspiration for how I’d like my partner to treat me in a relationship. Like how you’d like someone to keep you and love you like that one old t-shirt you never throw out and wear over and over again. It might be worn out but it is still your favourite t-shirt.
Beside music, do you have any special talents?
Well… I’m funny, haha
Being on stage feels like….!
NERVE-RACKING, absolutely terrifying. But I always get a boost when I see people enjoying themselves and singing along to my songs and then I pull myself together and try giving it my best so they can leave the venue with a good feeling and have a good live experience of the songs they have been listening to.
How did you learn to sing/ to write/ to play??
Oh I’m definetly still learning! I grew up in a musical family so I have it in my blood I guess, but it was always traditional Iranian music, so one day I discovered American pop and RnB music, I found some old CDs and I watched J-Lo, Beyoncé, Jay-Z and Ne-yo live on repeat as a 10y-o it made me want to make someone feel the things I felt when I listened to their music and saw them perform. So I guess that was the start.
A question you’d like to answer, but never been asked in an interview before?! + Answer pls
How old is Lorde actually?
Photo © Magnus Westerlund