1. Hello, thank you for your time, please introduce yourself in a few words!
My name is Dempsey Bolton and I’m a Canadian Pop/RnB artist.
2. Please give us an update about – new single, new album, tourdates, new videos?!
A few weeks ago I released my debut album „Monochrome“ with focus single „Slipping“ and now I am releasing the Official Music Video for Slipping. The video is weird, dark, ridiculous, funny and completely insane. I’ve always wanted to make a music video where I only make a small cameo in it and finally that dream has been realized. I really think it reflects me as a person and an artist.
3. Name 5 things we all should know about you as an artist?!
1. Everything you hear on my album is played by me and engineered by Trey Mills. In an effort to make music myself I’ve picked up quite a few instruments and it really came in handy during the recording process.
2. I write about love all the time because that’s what I know and that’s what moves me.
3. I love funky, soulful tracks that really make you scrunch your face up and groove. I think track 2 and 5 off the album („What About You“ and „Slipping“) are the closest I’ve come to making one of those.
4. I create to connect with people in a way that I normally find difficult. I’m slowly pushing myself to be more vulnerable with my fans and the world around me and my music is an extension of that.
5. I have a degree in Astrophysics and was this close to going into a Master’s program before deciding that I wanted to pursue music instead. I haven’t looked back since.
4. What can we expect 2020 from you?
Ahhh so many plans. I have 3 guaranteed releases lined up right now and a tentative idea for another album but at the moment it’s just an idea. I’m really excited to lock myself in my room and try to write it and just see where that takes me. If nothing else, I want 2020 to be a year of progress for me as an artist.
5. Do you have bad habits? A guily pleasure you cant seem to quit?
Way too many to list but the one that springs to mind is video games. I’m constantly uninstalling every game I have when I need to be productive, only to reinstall them a week later in a moment of weakness. I can’t seem to find a happy medium with them.
6. Beside music, do you have any special talents?
I don’t know if this is a talent but as a kid I used to multiply large numbers in my head for fun. I really can’t imagine why I wasn’t one of the cool kids 😉 Anyway, I’m not as fast as I used to be but it’s kind of stuck with me and every now and then I’ll break it out as the lamest party trick ever.
7. Being on stage feels like….!
Being on stage feels like being a fully grown child. Let me explain.. It’s the closest I can get to not caring, to being present, to just being myself. I still get anxious on stage from time to time but it’s a different type of anxiety; it’s a „here and now“ anxiety as opposed to the million thoughts that race through my head on a daily basis. At its best, being on stage is being totally, unapologetically present.
8. Must Have – and No-Go in your Wardrobe! – Favorite Fashion Brand and Fragrance?
The must have in my wardrobe right now is the hoodie. I think it may be because Canada is a bit colder and also because they’re so low maintenance but I am obsessed with hoodies right now. The biggest No-Go for me is baseball hats. Not because I don’t like them or anything, just because my head shape is not flattering in a snapback.. My favourite brand right now is easily Topman, they have the perfect blend between Hipster and Prep.
9. A question youd like to answer, but never been asked in an interview before?! + Answer pls
The question I’ve always wanted to answer is „What is the one album you keep coming back to?“ Super random but I grew up listening to pretty much exclusively metal and Stevie Wonder. Making pop/r&b, occasionally I’ll need a cleanse because I’m so absorbed in the genre. Because of this (and probably for nostalgic reasons), I keep coming back to „Welcome to Mercy Falls“ by Seventh Wonder and „I Am Anonymous“ by Headspace, two of the greatest metal albums ever made.